1. A raging fire has engulfed this rainforest, which contributes to about 20 percent of the earth’s oxygen.
Amazon rainforest, the world’s largest rain forest, which provides almost 20 percent of the earth’s oxygen, has been burning for over 16 days resulting in a major loss of trees and biodiversity.
2. Who among the following was arrested by CBI in relation to the INX Media corruption case
Ans. P. Chidambaram
Former finance minister and Congress leader P Chidambaram was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). P Chidambaram is accused of facilitating foreign investment into a television company, INX Media, in 2007, when he was the Finance Minister.
3. US President Donald Trump recently showed interest in buying which nation?
In a surprising move, US President Donald Trump expressed a desire to buy Greenland. The Prime Minister of Denmark Mette Frederiksen, who found the notion to be absurd, declined the offer. US President Donald Trump cancelled his scheduled visit to Denmark in September after the refusal.
4. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the creation of the post of Chief in which sector in his Independence Day speech 2019?
Appointment of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his sixth consecutive Independence Day speech. According to the information provided by PMO, the Chief of Defence Staff will help integrate all three services - the Indian Army, the Air Force and the Indian Navy.
5. Name of the scheme which was recently announced for water conservation and household pipeline supply by PM Modi?
Ans. Jal Jeevan Mission
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced during his Independence Day speech that the government will launch a Jal Jeevan Mission to bring piped water supply to every house. He also urged the people to come forward and contribute in conserving water resources.
6. Who won the National Film Award 2019 for Best Actress?
Ans. Keerthy Suresh
Keerthy Suresh won the Best Actress award at the 66th National Film Awards for her performance in Telugu film Mahanati.
7. Which film won the national film award 2019 for “Best Feature Film”?
Gujarati Movie Hellaro won the ‘Best Feature Film’ award at the 66th national film awards 2019.
8. Which nation has launched its own Space Command?
Ans. United States
US President Donald Trump launched the US Space Command on August 29, 2019. Trump announced the establishment of the space command as the newest US military combatant command in a ceremony at the Rose Garden, White House.
9. Which three banks will be merged into a single entity to form the 2nd largest bank of India?
Ans. PNB, OBC & United Bank of India
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on August 30, 2019 announced the merger of several banks under the Bank Consolidation plan. Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce, United Bank of India will be merged as one single entity. Punjab National Bank will be the anchor bank.
10. Who has become the first IPS officer to be honoured with the prestigious Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018?
Ans. Aparna Kumar
IPS Officer Aparna Kumar will be honoured with the Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award 2018 in the ‘Land adventure’ category. Aparna Kumar is a 2002 batch IPS officer from the Uttar Pradesh Cadre. She is the first IPS officer to be honoured with the prestigious Tenzing Norgay Award.
11. Andhra Pradesh government recently announced that the Polavaram Project work will be resumed from November 2019. The project runs on which river?
Andhra Pradesh government announced that the construction works relating to the Polavaram project will taken up again from November 2019, after the rainy season. Under the Polavaram project, a dam is being constructed across the Godavari River in West & East Godavari Districts of Andhra Pradesh.
12. Which Article got revoked alongside Article 370?
Ans. Article 35A
With the revocation of Article 370, Article 35A gets revoked as well. Article 35A defines "permanent residents" of Jammu & Kashmir and grants special rights to them.
13. Name of the former External Affairs Minister and first women chief minister of Delhi who passed away recently.
Ans. Sushma Swaraj
Sushma Swaraj, former external affairs minister and Delhi’s first female chief minister, passed away on August 6, 2019. She was 67. Sushma Swaraj was taken to the AIIMS soon after she suffered from a heart attack.
14. Who won the Best Director award at the 66th National Film Awards?
Ans. Aditya Dhar
Uri Director Aditya Dhar won the Best Director award and Ayushmann Khurrana and Vicky Kaushal shared the Best Actor national film award.
15. Pathamadai Silk Mat has recently granted a GI tag. It belongs to which state?
Ans. Tamil Nadu
The traditional art of weaving pattamadai silk mat belongs to the Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu. Pathamadai mats have been granted Geographical Indication (GI) status by the trademarks and GI authorities.
16. How many individuals will be scanned under the Human Genome Mapping Project of Government of India?
India is planning to launch its first Human Genome Mapping Project. The project involves scanning of 20,000 Indian genomes (in the next five years) to develop diagnostic tests and effective therapies for treating diseases such as cancer.
17. Which organization has recently launched Jeevan Amar Plan?
The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched a new and affordable term insurance plan named the ‘LIC Jeevan Amar Plan’. This plan provides greater flexibility to the policyholders as it allows them to choose two death benefit options of their own choice. These two options are - level sum assured and increasing sum assured.
18. Who was conferred the Bharat Ratna honour in August 2019?
Ans. Pranab Mukherjee
President Ram Nath Kovind conferred the Bharat Ratna to former President Pranab Mukherjee and posthumously to Assamese singer Bhupen Hazarika and Bharatiya Jana Sangh leader Nanaji Deshmukh.
19. Which Indian player has become the first-ever to clinch the Badminton World Championship title?
Ans. PV Sindhu
PV Sindhu created history by becoming the first Indian to win gold at BWF World Championship. She earned the title of world champion by crushing Nozomi Okuhara in straight sets of 21-7, 21-7.
20. Which country awarded Prime Minister Narendra Modi 'The King Hamad Order of the Renaissance'?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been conferred the ‘King Hamad Order of the Renaissance’ by Bahrain's King Hamad bin Isa bin Salman Al Khalifa in recognition of his efforts to strengthen bilateral relations with the key Gulf nation. Narendra Modi, the first Indian prime minister to visit Bahrain, received the honour.
21. Whose 109th birth anniversary was commemorated on August 26, 2019?
Ans. Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa’s 109th birth anniversary was commemorated across the world on August 26, 2019. Mother Teresa was born on August 26, 1910.
22. Who was selected for the Outstanding Engineer Award-2019 by Institution of Engineers in India?
Ans. Prabhakar Singh
Prabhakar Singh, Director General, Central Public Works Department (CPWD) has been chosen for elite and prestigious Eminent Engineer Award for Year 2019 by Institution of Engineers (India). This Elite and Prestigious Award shall be conferred to him on the ‘Engineers Day’ on September 15, 2019.
23. What is the name of new Android version launched by Google on August 22, 2019?
Ans. Android 10
Google on August 23, 2019 announced that the Android Q version will now be known as ‘Android 10’, breaking its 10-year old tradition of naming Android versions after desserts or sweets.
24. Which nation has unveiled a domestically-built Bavar-373 missile defence system despite sanctions?
Iran unveiled a domestically built long-range, surface-to-air missile air defense system on August 22, 2019. Iran revealed the domestically built missile defense system during its National Defense Industry Day.
25. Who became the first-ever Indian tennis player to win a set against Roger Federer?
Ans. Sumit Nagal
In the first-round match of the US Open between India's Sumit Nagal and Swiss ace Roger Federer, the former stunned the tennis legend by claiming the first set 6-4. Nagal had qualified for the US Open main draw and became the youngest Indian in 25 years to qualify for the main draw of a Grand Slam.
26. Which country recently requested the United Nations to call back all peacekeepers from the country by June 2020?
Sudan requested the United Nations Security Council to lift its suspension of troop withdrawals and ensure all peacekeepers leave Darfur by June 2020. Omer Mohamed Siddig, Sudan’s U.N. Ambassador, informed the council that it’s time to shift from peacekeeping to peace-building in Darfur.
27. Name the India’s first woman Director General of Police (DGP) who passed away recently.
Ans. Kanchan Chaudhary
Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, the first woman Director General of Police (DGP) of India, passed away recently in Mumbai, Maharashtra. Kanchan was an IPS Officer of 1973 batch. She was appointed as India’s first women DGP in 2004 of the Uttarakhand state.
28. The Indian Institute of Petroleum recently established a plant to turn plastic waste into diesel in which city?
Indian Institute of Petroleum recently established a plant in Dehradun, Uttarakhand to convert waste plastic into diesel. The plant has a capacity to produce around 800 litre of diesel from 1 tonne plastic.
29. Who was elected as the first woman President of Indian National Science Academy (INSA)?
Ans. Chandrima Shaha
Chandrima Shaha was recently elected as the President of Indian National Science Academy (INSA). With this, Shaha became the first woman to be elected as President of INSA. She will serve the post from 2020 to 2022.
30. Who has become the first Indian to win world title in motorsports?
Ans. Aishwarya Pissay
Aishwarya Pissay won the FIM World Cup in women’s category in Hungary, becoming the first-ever Indian to win a world title in motorsports. Aishwarya Pissay also finished second in the FIM Junior category
Post a Comment